The Daily Journal — As managing editor, I wrote a weekly news column about journalism issues, reporting and the newspaper. And I also served as theater critic for Chicago productions.
- REVIEW: Goodman Theatre’s A Christmas Carol
- REVIEW: Sweet Bird of Youth
- REVIEW: Chekhov’s Three Sisters
- Report it, opinion is not your job
- Open government, please.
- Sometimes it takes a lawsuit
- Getting the message right
- Marathon woman
- 9-11 plus 10
Chicago Foundation for Women – I reviewed all the grants and publications for the foundation and also wrote all the major reports. I also worked with a variety of nonprofits and experts, including Voices for Illinois Children, to do independent budget analysis and various issue reports.
- Speeches — Board Chair 2007 luncheon
- Speeches — Associate Director 2007 luncheon
- Speeches — Executive Director 2007 luncheon
- Speeches — Executive Director 2006 luncheon
- State budget study, executive summary, 2007
- Federal budget 2007 – what does it mean?
- Testimony on human trafficking in Cook County
- The face of the uninsured? Women
- WWIT — Final report on violence against woman project for CFW What Will It Take: To Make Illinois the Safest State for Women and Girls? Extensive research and human stories are woven through this 43-page report about combating violence against women and girls.
- Annual report, 2006
- Public awareness campaign launch — press conference script
- Public awareness campaign launch — news release
- Advocacy, Action and our Grantees
- News Alert: Food Deserts
- Coverage: What Will it Take? campaign
Chicago Parent — In my years as editor, this 250,000-circulation monthly magazine, was recognized as the country’s leading regional parenting magazine by the University of Missouri’s School of Journalism for three consecutive years—unprecedented.
- Explaining war to children
- Movie ratings — do they help?
- Judge not? I don’t think so
- Kidcare: Words or action?
- No Child Left Behind forum
The Chicago Reporter — as consulting editor, I oversaw and edited many projects but sometimes, I stepped in to write and report, making sure we made deadline.
Chicago Tribune, Women’s eNews – Over the years, I have freelanced opinion pieces and editorials for the New York Times syndicate, the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times and dozens of other newspapers and websites.
- Eileen Shanahan
- Prime Time TV’s diversity
- Being in the Vagina Monologues – LA TIMES, CHICAGO TRIBUNE
CLIPS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST
- Kaiser Foundation — Book: Living Without Health Insurance. I still have a few copies.
- Curve Research: The Daily Trading Strategy — During the summer of 2012, I edited, helped design and write the daily prototypes for a start-up, subscription-only bond newsletter, meant for those who live and breathe bond trading.